Large Gauge Cable Stripper
The Mercury-5 bench-top laser wire stripper identifies a gap in the market for a laser method of stripping large gauge wires, especially outer jackets of high voltage cables. It also has the capability to strip longer lengths of wires/cables, up to 200 mm (7.8").
- Low cost / excellent ROI: offers great value for its functionality - opens up a massive range of applications.
- Compact: can be placed on a bench and operated from a sitting position with space for other tools and parts.
- Versatile: strips single conductor cables with outer diameters ranging between 1 mm (0.04") and 20 mm (0.79") and up to 200 mm (7.8") strip length.
- Reliable: proven laser source and optics.
- Clean and precise: nick-free stripping with no damage to underlying conductor.
- Flexible and fast: fast loading of single wires / cable with auto-focus to enable rapid change-over between wire sizes, typically in under 1 second.
- Ease of use: operator selects via touchscreen the desired stripping parameters from the programmed library.
- Low cost of ownership: no laser or machine wear parts.
The Mercury-5 allows flexible wire stripping:
- cross-cut: laser separates the slug of insulation - operator pulls off as a second operation
- slit: laser makes a cross cut but also slits along the insulation to aid peeling off a long length (especially used for cable jackets)
- window: like a slit, but two cross cuts are made to allow a window section of insulation to be removed - used especially for accessing the shield of a cable for attaching to the shield
- two cross-cuts
- two cross-cuts with a slit
- three cross-cuts
- window and a cross-cut
- two windows
All the Mercury systems are capable of stripping polymer insulations. All polymer insulations can be cut with the laser. The amount of melt, vaporization or chemical decomposition depends on the exact polymers used. Below is a non-exhaustive list of materials that can be stripped:
- Fluoropolymers, such as PTFE, ETFE, PFA
Min. Outer Cable Diameter
|1 mm (0.04")
|Max. Outer Cable Diameter
||20 mm (0.79")
|Stripping Length Increments
||0.1 mm (0.004")
||Cross-cuts, slits and windows
|Max. Stripping Length
||200 mm (7.84")
||Up to 100 mm/s (3.94"/s)
Via hand through a single cable port or as an automated in-line system
|Dimensions (L x W x H)
||350mm width x 450mm height x 650 mm length
(14" x 18" x 25")
The Mercury-5 is designed to cross-cut and slit jackets and insulation of single conductor cables with an outer diameter of between 1 mm (0.04") and 20 mm (0.79") and with a slitting length of up to 200 mm (7.9"). It grips, strips and releases the cable with a unique auto-focusing system that enables speed and repeatability.