The Odyssey-4 is a high performance system for the stripping of enamels, such as polyimide, from small gage wires down to 50 AWG and even smaller. It is the perfect solution for medical device manufacture.
Featuring ultra-violet laser technology, the Odyssey-4 vaporizes any polyimide-type insulation cleanly and precisely, whilst harmlessly reflecting from the shield or conductor, giving a perfect, nick-free strip every time. Unlike competing laser technologies no residue is left, so it is possible to connect to the wire without further chemical treatment.
The Odyssey-4 system is optimally designed to strip multiple cables or ribbons in a single operation. Wires or coils are pre-loaded onto a small, removable fixture plate, which can accommodate strips of up to 50mm in length and 50mm in width (2"x 2"). The plate is then pushed through a slot at the front of the machine, into the processing area and up against a datum stop. The fixture plate supports the wires / cables but also allows the laser beams to hit the wires from the top and bottom laser galvo scanners. These two strip areas join to give a precise 360-degree strip. This results in complete ablation of the insulation, without any damage to the underlying conductor. The strip pattern, with its dimensions, is executed under program control. The program, with the encoded strip pattern, is selected via the operator interface. Different insulation types and thicknesses can be accommodated by adjusting the speed of the laser beam across the cable and the selected power.
The Odyssey-4 system can also be configured to strip wires in-line, from spool to spool, using a precision wire transport system. It's fully automated, so no operator input is required.
Despite its sophistication, the machine is compact, simple to use, and requires almost zero maintenance. It is also flexible enough to tackle a large range of medical wiring and high performance magnet wire coils.
The systems are self-contained, bench-mounted and connect to a standard single phase power supply. An under-bench control unit houses the extraction unit, controls, and laser chiller.
Features and Benefits at a Glance
- Clean finish - all insulation vaporized in stripping area with no residue or damage.
- Precise - strips wires from 30 AWG down to 58 AWG and smaller. +/- 0.001 inch positioning repeatability for the best quality, every time.
- Fast - typically strips a wire end in around 1 second.
- Effortless - dual galvanometer scanner optical system for two sided stripping without moving the wires.
- Versatile - settings can be adjusted to allow wires to be laser cut as well as laser stripped. Can strip single wires or ribbons (bi-filar, tri-filar, twisted pair etc).
- Range - can strip 50mm x 50mm (2"x2") worth of wires in one process.
- Simple to use - simply select the required stripping recipe via colour touchscreen, then activate system by push button or footswitch.
- Configurable - hundreds of strip patterns can be pre-stored in the unit.
- Customisable - fixtures can be customised to accommodate different wire and strip requirements.
- Accurate - fixture locates with high accuracy onto machine mechanism.
- Product validation - optional vision system quality assurance for peace of mind.
- Compact - self-contained, bench-mounted unit with small footprint.
- Energy-efficient - runs from single phase 120 / 230 V electrical supply without need for compressed air.
- Integrated control - no separate laptop required as includes a compact PC to run the machine.
- Robust - industrial, sealed, minimal maintenance laser technology.
- Safe - Class 1 capable laser system incorporating a Class 4 3W UV laser.