This is a new position to expand our small team of mechanical design engineers. The role will cover the following four stages of product design and development:
- Concept Design
- Prototype Build
- Testing of Concept
- Product Release
We are looking for the following attributes:
- Capable of issue resolution and reports upward by exception rather than rule
- Aspires to world class manufacture
- Does not accept current state as future state
- Team player.
The component elements of design and development include (but not limited to):
- Creation of concept designs.
- Risk Analysis via dFMEA, pFMEA.
- Creation of top level product code assemblies (GA’s).
- Ensuring designs are “design for manufacture” and cost effective.
- “Configurable” designs that allow saleable options to be selected / de-selected that allows seamless translation to purchasing and production.
- Completion of all piece part drawings for release to Supplier manufacture.
- Creation of relevant sub-assemblies within the overall “GA” of the final product.
- Ensuring Bills of Materials are 100% accurate.
- Handover of product files to manufacturing (assembly aids, drawings etc).
- Creating build sequences and identification of assembly CTQ’s (critical to quality).
- Generating product build routers and check lists to ensure product meets design intent.
- First point of contact for assembly issues to ensure issues are dealt with in a timely manner (both new and legacy product).
- Design of be-spoke jigs and fixture.
- Electrical Engineering – mechanical design must interface with electrical design & vice versa.
- Software Engineering – mechanical / electrical design supports control strategy.
- Purchasing – component designs can be sourced from existing supply chain.
- Production – ensure designs are “production” ready for product launch.
- Test Department – ensures legacy issues are identified and engineered out.
- Sales Department – provides input to contract review process when required.
- Application Lab – provides input to application enquiries when required.
- Educated to at least HNC level.
- Demonstrable experience in product design and development.
- Knowledge of Autocad Inventor (2D/3D) is essential.