Rotary Laser Wire Stripper
The Mercury-6 benchtop rotary laser wire stripper heralds the latest breakthrough in stripping multi-layer cables, in particular high voltage electric vehicle cables. It features a 2-D optical system that has both a linear and rotary axis to allow circumferential and length slit. This also gives it the capability to quickly and automatically adjust focus to strip various sizes of cable at the touch of a button from 2mm (0.08") up to 30mm (1.18") outer diameter. It not only strips the outer insulation, but also cuts the inner Mylar foil shield. A unique cable end finding system ensures that accurate wire lengths are processed.
- Versatile: strips various sizes of cables, including multi-layer conductor cables, such as outer Coroplast insulation and inner Mylar foil layer on electric vehicle cables, up to 30mm (1.18") outer diameter and up to 200mm (7.9") strip length.
- Flexible and fast: quick loading of single wires / cable with auto-adjustable focus to enable quick change-over between wire sizes.
- Powerful: 20 Watt to 70 Watt options available.
- Clean and precise: nick-free stripping with no damage to underlying conductor. Accurate lengths processed with unique wire end locating system.
- Reliable: proven laser source and optics.
- Ease of use: operator selects via touchscreen the desired stripping parameters (including strip lengths, laser power and speed) from the programmed library.
- Compact size: benchtop unit which can be operated from a sitting position with space for other tools and parts.
- Low cost of ownership: no laser or machine wear parts.
The Mercury-6 allows flexible wire stripping:
- cross-cut: laser separates the slug of insulation - operator pulls off as a second operation
- slit: laser makes a cross cut but also slits along the insulation to aid peeling off a long length (especially used for cable jackets)
- two cross-cuts
- two cross-cuts with a slit
- three cross-cuts
All the Mercury systems are capable of stripping polymer insulations. All polymer insulations can be cut with the laser. The amount of melt, vaporization or chemical decomposition depends on the exact polymers used. Below is a non-exhaustive list of materials that can be stripped:
- Fluoropolymers, such as PTFE, ETFE, PFA
Min. Outer Cable Diameter
|2 mm (0.08")
|Max. Outer Cable Diameter
||30 mm (1.18")
|Stripping Length Increments
||0.1 mm (0.004")
||Cross-cuts and slits
|Max. Stripping Length
||200 mm (7.84")
||Up to 250 mm (9.84”) per second maximum linear slitting speed
Via hand through a single cable port or as an automated in-line system
|Dimensions (L x W x H)
||340 mm width x 785 mm height x 990 mm depth
(13.5” x 31” x 39”)
The Mercury-6 is an industrially sealed carbon dioxide rotary laser stripping machine customized for the stripping of multi-layer cables up to an outer diameter of 1.18” (30 mm). It can strip the Coroplast outer insulation and the Mylar foil inner insulation of electric vehicle cables.
The Mercury-6’s 2-D optical system features a linear and a rotary axis. The rotary axis gives the circumference cut and the linear axis moves the optics to make the slit - up to a maximum 7.84" / 200 mm length. The optics head has independent, auto-adjust focus to allow for changes in cable diameter.
It’s a benchtop system that is simple to use and effortless to maintain. Fitted with an HMI touchscreen, strip programs can be easily configured and selected. The self-limiting laser process means that a wide range of wires and cables can be stripped in a single machine with the same set-up.
The distinct advantage of the Mercury-6 is its programmable, auto-adjust focus feature which allows for stripping of different cable diameters at the touch of a button.